Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 17:47:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Cc:        <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Seeking recommendations for backup system

On Thu, 24 May 2001 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> I'm seeking recommendation for a backup system (software) that can
> be used with a decent sized tape library, probably LTO based, and
> FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE.
>
> I'm sure we could roll our based on freely available tools (eg.
> Amanda) - but by now I'm used to Tivoli ADSM/TSM, and *like* the
> convenience ADSM/TSM offers.  We need the ability to make backups
> (via Fast Ethernet) primarily of FreeBSD servers, but also
> Solaris, Linux and HP-UX. Easy restore is important.
>
> (So why not buy TSM again? Primarily the price. We'll do it if we
> have to, but would prefer something slightly less expensive and
> also less complex.)

I just mentioned this to someone else who asked a similar question
elsewhere, but Veritas NetBackup (NOT BackupExec -- different animal)
has a native FreeBSD 3.2 agent that works very well on FreeBSD 3.2 and
up (I use it with 4.3-STABLE at the moment).  They've got backup
agents for a whole mess of platforms.  You can also use any
combination of NT, Solaris, Linux, and HP-UX servers.  You've pretty
much got the run of the park on that one. :-)

If you call up Veritas, they should be more than happy to send you a
time-limited (90 days, IIRC) demo.  I asked for one before we decided
to buy it and they shipped the CDs and demo license keys to me
next-day.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org