Date:      31 Mar 2003 17:00:24 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev on a read-only filesystem?

"J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net> writes:

> The trick is, if I make / read-only, I run into problems with /dev. During
> boot, I get numerous error messages - and things don't seem to work quite
> right. Is there a way to mount / read-only, while maintaining a working
> /dev? Can /dev be mounted from another filesystem - or, preferably (since
> the OS is already running) be linked to, say, /usr/dev?

I think you still need the devices on the root filesystem, even if you
later mount something else over the directory.  That's because there's
a chicken and egg problem -- they need to be there for the other
filesystems to be mounted in the first place.  So the symlink approach
won't work, but mounting it on top of /dev from elsewhere would work.

I believe the typical approach on diskless machines is to put it into
an mfs, but you'd have to doublecheck the documentation on it.

You could also use devfs, of course, but I'm not sure, offhand, how
well that worked before 5.x.