Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:40:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Dittrich <dittrich@cac.washington.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, billf@chc-chimes.com, ports@openbsd.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared libraries in packages

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * We change the major and minor versions in accordance with a.out naming
>  * policy, not simply to match the version number of the particular
>  * package (which normally doesn't).
>
> Yes.  See the handbook's "policy" section for more detail.

Let me remind you that I use OpenBSD and was getting ports from the
openbsd.com web page.  Are you talking about a FreeBSD policy?  I don't recall
seeing it on the page I was using, although I could be mistaken.

>  * In this case, it means that the library has undergone one non-backwards
>  * -compatible change (1.x to 2.1) and one backwards-compatible change
>  * (2.1 to 2.2).
>
> Two.  The first 2.X version is 2.0. :)
>
> Actually, I believe we bumped all libraries to 2.0 when we released
> FreeBSD 2.0R, which was based on a different codebase from 1.*.

This seems to entirely defeat the purpose of shared libraries and shared
ports.  If the OpenBSD community does not use this same scheme (which I don't
think is really wise, considering it breaks all versioning consistant with the
original source authors' naming conventions.  (If they upgrade libpcap today
to 0.5, does that mean you have to then go to 2.3?  Why not use a convention
like 0.4-2.3 or 0.4.2.3 to stay closer to the original?)

Regardless, I think this means that you should not put *any* non-static
binaries on the OpenBSD site (that are created on FreeBSD systems) or at least
provide source for all ported products (as I can't recompile libpcap until I
find the source somewhere else besides the OpenBSD site -  I'll start sending
email to the people who created the ports to build my own.)

Thanks for all your input on this.  I hope this improves the ports service,
which is great!

--
Dave Dittrich                 Client Services
dittrich@cac.washington.edu   Computing & Communications

Dave Dittrich / dittrich@cac.washington.edu [PGP Key]</a>