Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:09:41 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: recent apm changes

> plm> In contract, if I suspend in Linux of Windows, the computer shuts up
> plm> immediateley and is quiet. Only sometimes there is a (not too loud)
> plm> little fan (I think it is the CPU fan) running for a few more minutes.
>
> I've read Linux code (v2.2.9) closely, noticed they put cli
> before APM BIOS call and save & restore segment registers.

The CLI call is bogus.

I note a commit I *just* made:
----------------------------
revision 1.49.2.4
date: 1999/07/10 18:36:59;  author: nate;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -2
- Remove un-necessary CLI statement from apm_int, which casues
  suspend/resume to fail on at least some IBM Thinkpads.
[ FWIW, the cli call is also missing from -current ]

Submitted by:   "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@lehub.com>
----------------------------

If the CLI is there, my box refuses to suspend.  Apparently it was
removed from linux a while back, and like many software projects that
don't have usable history, the bug is now being re-introduced into Linux
again. :(

As far as the segment registers, we do an explicit save of them already
when we switch into VM86 mode, so it should be necessary to save them
twice.

> I suspect these two (or only cli?) affect the suspending state.
> To clarify, could you try attached patches (for sys/i386/i386/bioscall.s)
> one by one?

I'd be interested to know if either of the patches did anything...

Nate