Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 19:25:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New additions to http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> has contributed some very cool
> work on combining and cross-referencing the bento error logs to better
> summarize the data and present high-level views of the status of the
> ports collection.
>
> I have just merged his scripts into bento: the results can be viewed
> here:
>
>   http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/
>
> Mark's are the "Port cross-reference summaries (experimental)" entries
> at the top of the page.
>
> I'm particularly impressed by this one:
>
>   http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/portsconcordance.html

Currently this page is showing a lot of errors that are specific to a
given platform/version combination, but it's not obvious what the problem
is. For example, the error marked '???' seems to be a build script
error:

chroot: /buildscript: Exec format error

that is specific to ia64-5-full according to
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/portscrossref.html (there are a lot of
ports with these). There are also a lot of ports with 'fetch' errors that
are the result of every fetch attempt dying with a seg fault on
alpha-5-full. I noticed for my ports that this happens most often with
ports that use MASTER_SITE variables, but I didn't do an exhaustive
search. Finally, there are a lot of 'makefile' errors that when clicked on
give a 404 for the alpha-4-full version of the build logs. If you could
fix just those 3 errors, the vast majority of the ports with "errors"
would disappear.

I'd also like to second the request for "by maintainer" links to this
information. It would also be nice to break the info down by ports
category. The huge tables aren't even conducive on my cable modem link, I
shudder to think what they'd do to a dial-up.

I hope this doesn't sound negative, more data is welcome, and it's obvious
that a lot of work went into this. As Kris said, it just needs some
polishing.