Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 17:31:01 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAXUSERS=64 -- kernel panics

>	I recently installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 to replace my overloaded
>	Linux box.  We run an ftp site that almost as popular as
>	Walnut Creek's (roughly 400,000 file transfers per month).

   We do about that many files in one day. :-) (actually, about 200,000 files/
35GB/day)

>	Naturally I found that the generic kernel would run out of
>	file handles almost immediately (5 min. max.) that was
>	at 24 incoming sessions.  Besides I certainly planned on
>	rebuilding the kernel anyway.  So I config'd to 128 --
>	it complained that this was > 64, so I brought it down
>	to 64 and rebuilt.

   Ignore the warning. It will be removed in a future release of FreeBSD.

>	Ahh -- this must be news then -- she reboots!  The 2.0 kernel
>	(which I had tried first) would wait ten minutes (getting upto
>	70 ftp sessions or so) and then panic.  2.0.5 had the grace to
>	refrain from lulling me into a false sense of security by
>	dying immediately.

   Upgrade to 2.1. I have maxusers set at 200 on wcarchive. The only panics it
experiances are caused by the hardware (we have a 2 bit memory error that
keeps causing problems). ...but this is only happening about once in 12 days.
It otherwise hums along at 350+ users (the limit is 400 at the moment).
   If you continue to have problems with FreeBSD 2.1, I'll be interested in
investigating the problem personally...so please complain! :-)

-DG