Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 00:08:15 -0700
From:      "Reginald S. Perry" <reggie@aa.net>
To:        Richard Levenberg <richardl@ufp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install via Passive FTP with proxy

    Richard> I am having trouble with a proxy server at my office
    Richard> where I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE via
    Richard> ethernet through a proxy server.

    Richard> For discussions sake lets call the proxy server
    Richard> proxy-server.

    Richard> In Netscape for Windows 95 I manually edit the proxys and
    Richard> add proxy-server as the server for FTP and the port is
    Richard> 8080.  From a unix box I can run:

    Richard> ftp proxy-server 1555

    Richard> which then asks for my username and I put in

    Richard> anonymous@ftp.freebsd.org and it puts me through.

I did this from behind our firewall at DEC a couple of months
ago. Here is how you do it:

When the main installation window comes up, select the Options
page. On the options page change the logon name from ftp to
anonymous@ftp.freebsd.org and for the password use name@ or
whatever. I use reggie@.

Use q to quit the options page and proceed with the install procedure.

When you get to the medium choices use FTP. Do NOT use Passive FTP.

When you are asked to choose the site, choose alternate URL. When you
are asked for the URL use:

ftp://proxy-server:1555/pub/FreeBSD/

Make sure you set the networking to point to your name server.

This should allow you to do the ftp install through your ftp proxy
server.

-Reggie