Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 14:41:28 -0500
From:      "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
To:        'Andrew Gallatin' <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, "Schroeder, Aaron" <ajschroeder@BUTLER.TMSComputers.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DigitalServer 5305 install revisited...

Per your suggestion, I set 'hw.physmem=512M' at the boot prompt. To no
avail, so, I took 1.5GB of RAM out of the box and CPU1. It boots to the
point of initializing the SCSI card (it has one of those combo SCSI/Network
Cards), needless to say, BSD fails with a timeout style warning. I do not
have the console output from that error, I can provide it if you wish.

Anyway, I plug in a DAC960 and a DE500 NIC, create a raid, boot the server
from CD. It boots to setup. I commence installing BSD, I create my
filesystems, select my distribution set, select my media as the CD. The
files start installing, and then setup hangs (Extracting bin into /
directory, to be exact). I reset the machine, boot the CD, repeat said
install procedure, but this time I select FTP as the media. Same thing, it
gets to a certain percentage and dies. I have tried it about 6 times using
each method, CD or Network.

It fails/hangs in a different spot every time to further complicate this
issue. Sometimes it gets to 17%, 23%, 49% was the highest it went. One thing
I do notice is that the transfer speed shoots up real high, then trails off
to nothing then craps out.

Weird. I thought it was the internal SCSI bus of the server, that's what
prompted me to try the FTP install, then that died. Well, any suggestions
would be of great help to me.

Maybe it's time for a new box.

TIA,

AJ Schroeder