Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:08:01 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_label: gpt/labelname for gmirror provider?

--------------enig20B8FCD5E70E798A6B32575C

Ivan Voras schrieb am 14.07.2009 19:15 (localtime):
> Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> first of all thank you very much for the gpt label support in
>> geom_label! This is really nice and makes disk partitioning well-arran=
ged.
>=20
> Yes, it is lots of fun.
>=20
>> I tried to use the gbt/label as provider gor glabel, but that didn't
>> work. It looked as if gmirror wrote the label succesfully, but `gmirro=
>> list` was empty. Just replacing gpt/label with ad4p2 worked as expecte=
d.
>> Is it impossible by design to use gpt/label as provider?
>=20
> I don't quite understand what you are asking. You create a mirror (with=

> "gmirror label...") and then a GPT on top of it, and then you can't see=

> the GPT labels? If so, then it unfortunately reminds me of this thread:=

> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.questions/248884
>=20
> If it's something else, please explain with more details.

Sorry for my bad explanation!
I'm using
`gpart modify -l part1disk1 -i 2 ad4`
and
`gpart modify -l part1disk2 -i 2 ad6`
so I have
/dev/gpt/part1disk1
and
/dev/gpt/part1disk2

Now I want to use these as providers for geom_mirror:
`gmirror label -b load MIRROR1 gpt/part1disk2 gpt/part1disk2`

gmirror prints that metadata was successfully written (to provider=20
gpt/part1diskX) but in fact geom_mirror doesn't jump in and detect the=20
mirror.

Thanks,

-Harry