Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 02:05:56 -0400
From:      "Brett G. Castleberry" <bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
To:        "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>, "rick hamell" <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        <otter@tig.com.au>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Very basic questions...

No, I don't think we realize how it is outside the US.  I don't pay anything
for internet access.  As a graduate student at a state university I have
unlimited access,  and if I were to quit school, my account with Tallahassee
Freenet gives me the same.  I never thought I would be glad that our
government is the errand boy of Corporate America, but in this case, I am.
There is a spurious message going around here that the phone companies are
going to charge long distance rates for internet access.  The chairman of
the Federal Communications Commission has actually posted an explicit denial
at the FCC site.  For the corporations, this would amount to "restraint of
trade."  Governments need to realize that phone lines are like public
highways.  More wealth will be created by making them inexpensive to use
than by putting a meter on them.
    FreeBSD.  As a really new newbie, I was glad to find a site just for us.
But as a newbie, most of what I have to say is questions.  Sometimes I want
to know about something and I think, "It's a question, so I ought to post it
to 'questions', but I 'll sound like an idiot there.  And I can't post it to
'newbies' because they don't want questions."
    Here at the Florida State University School of Information Studies, our
server runs on FreeBSD, but no one that I know of has it on his or her PC.
They run mostly Red Hat, with Slackware as runner-up.  "FreeBSD is ugly,"
said one Red Hat user to me.  But I have gathered that FreeBSD can be set up
with gnome or KDE too, if one wants.  I want to learn command-line unix, so
I don't much care about nice GUIs at the moment.  I find the dark screen
with glowing type to be very soothing.  At this point I don't have much more
to add.  I've got my FreeBSD 3.1 CD.  I've got the book.  I've got the
victim (a used 486 with an AMD 80mhz cpu, 20mb RAM, 850mb hd.)  It's time to
"see the elephant."  I'll let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,
Brett Castleberry
bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu