Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 21:41:35 +0100
From:      "Marco van de Voort" <marcov@stack.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Text console programming on a low level.

I've ported a Linux app, but am still having some problems with a
fullscreen textmode editor to work with FreeBSD consoles. (I already
use NCurses, but I don't think I'm doing it right)

The problems are many:
- Codepages. Is there anyway to force cp437, for linedrawing?
(or even better on the phys console, work in 512 character font
mode, saving the original font) The fact that Midnight Commander
doesn't use all linedrawing chars is worrying :-)

- Keyboard. mainly the extended keys. (alt, ctrl, F-keys)

- Mouse support (console, xterm)

Of course I want it to work on as many consoles as possible, but for
now standard telnet between PCs (FreeBSD and Linux standard
clients + some win32 clients like putty and dtelnet)

The win32 clients are already working quite right, and I can even get
the Linux and FreeBSD clients to work (by killing off some code for
the linux console)

However the physical (the default one from FreeBSD 4.2 btw, I
assume it is syscons) console hardly does anything. When I set the
terminal to one of the vtxxx terminals I can get some life out of it, but
cons25 totally messes up.

Are there some ((Free)BSD specific) docs about this? Or other
"really" fullscreen textconsole programs (so with extended keys,
mouse and codepage support) as examples?

I already went through Ncurses docs, but those are more generic in
nature.

Marco van de Voort (MarcoV@Stack.nl or marco@freepascal.org)