Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:55:38 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
To:        "David C. Snyder" <dsnyder@web.turner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD -> ISO-9660 Image

I'm cc'ing freebsd-questions which is the best place to ask technical
questions.

On Monday 10 September 2001 18:47, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm in the process of _upgrading_ my last Linux box to FreeBSD.  The
> only common task for which I have not found a FreeBSD equivalent is
> creating an ISO 9660 image from a CD-ROM.  Under Linux, I could do
> something like this:
>
>    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/data/images/new-image.iso

These have worked well for me:

   Copying a data CD:   dd bs=2048 if=/dev/acd0c of=duplicate.iso
   Copying an audio CD: dd bs=2352 if=/dev/acd0c of=cd.image

> Once this is done, I can either record the image to a blank CD, or
> mount it as a vnode disk that can be NFS exported or shared via SAMBA.

See the handbook section on creating cd's as well as using vnconfig to mount
the iso image:

   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

> I've grep'ed the FAQ's and the handbook, but couldn't find anything
> about this.  If you have a pointer, I'd be grateful if you could pass
> it along.  Thanks!
>
> -- David

Hope this helps!

Randy