Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:17:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        imp@village.org, bfoz@glue.umd.edu, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, roelof@eboa.com
Subject:   Re: Dangerously Dedicated

As I recall, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> The original IBM AT spec could give a rats ass about a partition
> table, all that it cares about is the boot block signature (magic
> 0xAA55).  It is the MBR that knows what a partition table is and how
> to deal with it.  The original spec says if there is a valid
> signature, load the code and jump to it passing the drive number in
> reg dl so that the boot code knows where it was loaded from.  It was
> up to the MBR to decide what to do from then on.

I think earlier in this thread was a reference to a document
somewhat later than the BIOS code shipped with an AT.

Do we want to start a new thread on what exactly =is= the
authoritative documentation for PC architecture?

The real issue is FreeBSD has to be able to boot on the hardware
that's in the stores.  Who's wrong, though interesting, doesn't
matter.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net