Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:12:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        gelderen@mediaport.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD naming

Doug Rabson writes:
> > Might it be a good idea to choose a consistent naming scheme for the
> > modules? I'd think so because it would help blind loading at the boot
> > prompt. If you choose names it the following format:
> >
> > type_name
> > saver_warp
> > saver_daemon
> >
> > the modules of one type will sort together in a directory listing. This is a
> > change that will make FreeBSD more user friendly I think.
>
> When I first started writing KLD, I had a vague notion that there would be
> a simple directory structure under /modules, e.g.:
>
> 	/modules
> 			pci/
> 				ncr.ko
> 			isa/
> 				if_ed.ko

I like this idea (subdirectories) better.. it will last longer :-)
Witness the explosion of the ports tree.

You should then be able to load a module "isa/if_ed.ko" etc
and have it work (no leading slash).

In fact, we can implement this (maybe it already works) before
coming to a final decision on what the actual layout should be.

-Archie