Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 14:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu (Annelise Anderson)
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Annelise Anderson wrote:

> The argument for school choice/vouchers is that there would be competition
> among schools and thus some improvement; proponents argue that it is
> especially important in inner cities where schools are more likely
> to be appallingly bad and also dangerous.

	inner city schools are so dangerous for at least two reasons:
		the students that attend those schools
		the low level of funding per student

	many rural schools have only the funding problem, but
	are still "poor" schools due the way we have each school
	district self-fund through local property taxes rather than
	state-wide.

> There are a lot of arguments against vouchers; what we really need
> is an experiment in a large state (e.g., California) that goes on for
> long enough to produce some results.

	vouchers pay people to segregate themselves from the rest of
	the community increasing the factionalism that we suffer from
	today.  for the ills that compulsory military service entails,
	one benefit is to create a common experience shared by a
	large number of the adult population.  an experience that can
	serve to unify the citizenry (provided its not abused, as it
	was during the vietnam war)

> The argument against vouchers from the libertarian perspective is
> that it will lead to more government control of private schools, and
> in fact all schools will be subject to the same rules & regs that
> hamper public schools.
>

> > > Incidentally, if you say "No, this is not reasonable; people
> > > going to a private school have tons of money to spare, anyways",
> > > I will be tempted to yell at you very loudly.
> >
> > 	currently, you have to pay twice.  taxes to support the local
> > 	public school system and then tuition to the private school.
> > 	yes, it is hard on families, i am currently paying over $10k
> > 	a year to private schools.   one way of easing the burden is
> > 	to restore the personal tax exemption to the value it had
> > 	in the 1950's....if i reember correctly that would be
> > 	nearly $10k rather than the current amount of $2500
> >
> > 	the tax revenue would have to be recovered eslsewhere.
> > 	removing all "special interest tax breaks" would b a good
> > 	start.
> > jmb
>
> I like the school voucher approach better than increasing the
> personal exemption, because it provides choice at all income
> levels.

	i dont understand.  the personal exemption is availabel to
	all income levels--equally--everyone subtracts "number of
	dependents" * "personal exemption" from their income".

	for the very poor, there is the earned income tax credit,
	or at least there was until recently.

jmb