Date:      Sun, 24 Jul 2016 08:38:59 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Digi Watchport/T temperature sensor as /dev/ttyU

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 08:03:30 +0200
"O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Am Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:49:11 -0600
> Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> schrieb:
>
> > On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 22:04 +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:

> > > No, it doesn't change anything. I applied the patch to most recent
> > > CURRENT and it is
> > > still the same. But thanks anyway.
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > oh
> >
> > Oh, my bad, I forgot to mention:  You'll have to manually "kldload
> > ugensa" before plugging in the device (or load it from your
> > loader.conf).
> >
> > When the change gets committed (assuming it works), the devd usb
> > scripts will get regenerated, and that's what handles the auto-load of
> > the driver.
> >
> > -- Ian
> man ugensa doesn't exist! As I wrote earlier, I tried everything to load what I could
> find. It seems, the patch and the hint about ugensa.ko did the magic ;-) Thank you very
> much! Could the patch be made permanent to FreeBSD CURRENT?
>
> And also important: where is the man page for ugensa? Can the the module be compiled
> staitcally into the kernel or are there pitfalls?

Even the most complete man page found in the internet, the one from
Dragonfly, doesn't list your Digi International device as being one
of those supported.

Still, having the man page under FreeBSD would at least provide a hint
that the driver even exists.

I added device ugensa to my config file and the kernel was generated
without an error.

--
Gary Jennejohn