Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:33:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

>My gut-level reaction to the donation is that you give the donater the
>ability to give the developers a 'hint' at what they'd like, with the
>understanding that it's only a hint.  [...]

>Whaddya think?

I sort of agree with this.  My interests are actually with things *other*
than SMP (I subscribe to the "MIPS are cheaper than whitebread" theory),
but hey, if suddenly we came up with a zillion bucks to hook our SMP guy
back up to the life support, that'd be great.  But in the background, I'll
*still* be grousing about how I want SparQ drives supported. :-)

As for the "membership only" mailing lists, I think that's a going nowhere
idea.  Who's going to provide the answers for this list?  There's a spread
of talent on this list that you will *not* replicate on a closed list, so
it seems that while corporate folks could sure pay for it, they wouldn't
in fact get anything useful for it.  I can imagine the scenario where
something from the -corporate list gets copied to -current, since nobody
who paid to be on the -corporate list can figure out how to deal with the
problem.

\
Brian