Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:10:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   Regarding CERT Advisory CA-96.12 - Vulnerability in suidperl

What is the full story on this for FreeBSD?  I see that sperl/suidperl
is installed both as part of the standard system and in the Perl 5 add-on
packages.  As I understand it, it is only used to try to work around some
kernel race condition involving setuid and setgid scripts.  Do we have
that problem?  Do we even need the sperl/suidperl pieces?

Even though FreeBSD has been represented other CERT announcements, and
even though Linux was still represented in this one, FreeBSD was not.

Please include my e-mail address in your reply, as I do not subscribe
to this list.

		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG		USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417