Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:22:34 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: change an image or convert it to metapost

Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Dear folks,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to change an image:
>>>
>>> http://www.valleycentral.com/uploadedImages/kgbt/Sports/Videos/GatorLogoJPEG.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch
>>>
>>> To metapost?  so that it could be processed by metapost?
>>>
>>> I have referenced this page
>>>
>>> http://matagalatlante.org/nobre/hyt/mpost.html
>>>
>>> but I don't have some of the programs referenced there.  If someone
>>> that is experienced in metapost or other language that can convert the
>>> graphic to metapost it would be very nice.  I have converted the image
>>> to EPS(encapsulated postscript) but the image does not fit nicely in
>>> *.tex documents and I would prefer to have a native one created by
>>> metapost or similar.
>>
>> Metapost contains more information than JPEG. There's no way to derive a
>> whole model from a flat image, so converting the former to the latter
>> doesn't really make sense. For that matter, JPEG is a pixel-based
>> format, so it's not going to scale in the document as well as something
>> that's based on vectors or curves. It would probably look okay if the
>> original image were much larger and getting scaled down.
>>
>> The usual thing to do here is probably to make sure the image gets used
>> at its normal resolution. This is really a TeX (or LaTeX)
>> question. Unfortunately, my set of documents in easy reach is too old to
>> cover how to do this, so I can't give you the formula offhand.
>>
>> Good luck.
>
> Actually, the problem is that the placement of the figure is not where
> I want it to be.  With a correct and true EPS and the 'h' option would
> give a very good placement.  It would still be nice to produce a
> metapost file and scale it to fit nicely and place text next to it,
> but I am guessing that I am hoping for some miracles.

If you're talking about starting from a JPEG and turning it into a
scalable image, then yes, you're looking for miracles. It's kind of like
starting with a hamburger and trying to turn it into a steak.

Getting placement correct, however, should be possible, but it's more of
a TeX question, and you might want to ask the TeX experts. Most of the
conversion programs on the page you referenced are in the FreeBSD ports
tree, so you shouldn't have trouble using them if you want.