Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 01:33:40 +0900
From:      KATO Takenori <kato@migmatite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD98-hackers@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fat32

(FreeBSD98-hackers@jp.freebsd.org is FreeBSD(98) developper's mailing
list.)

Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru> wrote:

> It wasn't obvious for me. FreeBSD does not have B_XXX2 in <sys/buf.h>, but it
> has the flag in, for example, vfs_bio.c and pc98/pc98/fd.c.
> B_XXX2 == B_ORDERED, though.

Sorry, I wrote wrong explanation about B_XXX2.

Unused bit was assinged to B_XXX2 in old version.  It didn't break any
existing-code in FreeBSD.  But, in today's FreeBSD, all bits in
b_flags are defined and there is no space in b_flags to be assigned to
B_XXX2.  This is why PC-98 code is broken in current msdosfs.  The
breakage affects only 1024 byts/sector floppy disk (1024 byte/sector
HDD are not supported in PC-98 port of FreeBSD), and 512 byts/sector
disks can be used without problem.

Does FreeBSD support 1024 bytes/sector block device?  If so, PC-98
code could be implemented by another way which does not use b_flags.

> > IMO, breakage of PC98 code in msdosfs has no problem, and 1024
> > bytes/sector floppy support should be revised.
>
> I think, idea of a machide-dependent filesystem also should be revised.

I think 1024 bytes/sector support is independent of machin-arch.  If
fd driver supports it, IBM-PC users also can read/write such floppy
disk.

----
KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
Dept. Earth Planet. Sci., Nagoya Univ.,  Nagoya, 464-01, Japan
PGP public key: finger kato@eclogite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp