Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:13:54 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade problem, possible pkgdb problem?

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 06:14:18PM -0700, Matt Navarre wrote:
> On Saturday 25 September 2004 05:13, Alex de Kruijff wrote:

> > It could be a problem with the DBDriver. You could try this:
> > Edit /root/.cs...
> > and add
> > PORTS_DBDRIVER=3Dbdb1_hash
> > PKG_DBDRIVER=3Dbdb1_hash

> Doesn't the DBDRIVER bug result in ruby dumping core? 'Cuz it isn't in th=
is=20
> case, it fails gracefully.

The core dump is seen with portsdb(1) trying to create
/usr/ports/INDEX.db -- however, the underlying bug can affect anywhere
that ruby uses bdb1_btree files.  pkgdb(1) occasionally going a bit
funny is a problem that's been known about for some time; usually just
deleting and rebuilding /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db will sort things out.
However, I don't think anyone had ever tracked down the root cause of
the problem.  Then the portsdb coredumping thing came along, and it
seems an obvious conclusion that the same thing might be affecting
both programs.

Note that a fix for the bdb1_btree problem has been in HEAD for a few
weeks, and was MFC'd to both RELENG_4 and RELENG_5 a week or so ago.
So an alternative fix could be cvsup+buildworld.  Unfortunately, I
don't think the fix will be applied to any of the existing 4.x-RELEASE
or 5.x-RELEASE branches -- it will of course be in 5.3-RELEASE when
that comes out, and it's pretty easy to do if you want to patch things
yourself.
=20
> I'll go ahead and try this, but I suspect that the /var/db/pkg info for=
=20
> gnucash or one of it's dependancies got horked up. We'll see.
>=20
> > Then execute this in your shell also. Then do:
> > pkgdb -u && portsdb -u && portupgrade -R gnucash

Yup.  That should ensure you get a clean install of gnucash and all of
its dependencies.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20