Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:24:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGDANGER

> drosih@rpi.edu said:
> :- If what we're implementing is basically the same as AIX's SIGDANGER,
> :- then I'd just as soon call it SIGDANGER.
>
> I must be really stupid.  I do builds of the same software package
> on SunOs, Solaris, FreeBSD(2.2.x), HPUX, and AIX.  These machines are
> simliarly configured with memory, etc, and all of the file space
> is NFS mounted.
>
> The builds on all of the machines *except* AIX *always* run to
> completion.  The AIX box will sometimes complete and sometimes
> not, and sometimes I have to re-start builds two or three times.
> (You can't imagine how annoying it is to get messages like:
> "my build failed!!! What did you do to the build?" when it is just
> stupid AIX shooting innocent processes!)
>
> If this is such a great idea, why is it such a pain in the ass?
>
> Also, why have I never encountered FreeBSD doing this random
> process killin thing, nomatter *how* much load I put on it?
>
> Just asking...
Curious, I have never haid AIX shoot a build on me, I have never had AIX
kill a random process on me unless the system was really taxed, and it has
been *obvious* that the system is taxed; and I have had FreeBSD do similar
to me when really pounding on it a random server process will usualy die
(usually LPD).

We could make this an "OPTION".

BTW: If no one has claimed this project, I would like it...  including
finishing up the extended signal handling.  (Yes, AFS work continues, I am
almost to the point of a clean compile, having problems now with liblwp
and context switching... but more of that this weekend :)

--
David Cross