Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:29:46 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <199510171353.JAA08843@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>> In message <199510170809.SAA07948@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au> David
>>     Dawes writes:
>>
>> >If they ship Cyrillic fonts with their next release, they've indicated
>> >(to me at least) that their preference is to use the ISO8859-5 encoding.
>>
>> Sigh. Why they not asking what preferences russsians have?

>Because the X Consortium is a Standards Body. When there is an existing
>standard for something we prefer to follow it (Like RFC 821/822). In the
>face of a "real" standard, a de facto standard doesn't count.

What do you mean by "real"? KOI8-R has two references now, they are
RFC 1489 (description) and RFC 1700 (registration as valid MIME
charset name). Is it enough for "real"? If you mean only ISO by "real",
why you refer RFC 822?

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -