Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 16:50:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Pete Kruckenberg <pete@dsw.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to add new SCSI drive?

I haven't gotten any help about this question on the USENET groups, so
I'm hoping I can get some here. This seems to be a question that should
be in a FAQ somewhere (but isn't), because FreeBSD is unlike any other
(documented) OS I've seen in this respect.

I need to add a new SCSI drive to my system. I need to know what I need
to do as far as preparing the drive, formatting it, labeling it, etc. So
far, I've low-level formatted it, and tried to disklabel it, but I just
get an error (ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Operation not supported by device)
whenever I try to save the disklabel. What am I missing?

My configuration is: P75 w/ 96MB RAM, FreeBSD 2.0.5R, Adaptec 2940W with
Barracuda 4GB SCSI-W drives on target 1 and target 2, and Quantux Gran
Prix 4GB SCSI-2 on target 4 (SCSI-2 bus), booting off an 850MB IDE drive.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Pete Kruckenberg
pete@dsw.com