Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:06:18 +0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?=C2ngelo=20Rodrigues?= <amr@fccn.pt>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sincronize /etc/passwd and /etc/yp/passwd.master

On Monday 28 April 2003 17:39, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Apr 28), ^Angelo Rodrigues said:

> > > You can selectively override part of a NIS password database entry
> > > by using NIS magic tokens in the local passwd file --- see
> > > passwd(5). For instance, user 'fred' might have home directory
> > > /home/fred in the NIS database, but you can override that in a
> > > client machine to /users/fred by putting:
> > >
> > >     +fred::::::::/users/fred:
> > >
> > > into /etc/master.passwd on the client.  All of the other fields are
> > > inherited from the NIS database.
> >
> > This could be a solution :)
>
> Standardizing the name of the homedir would make your job a lot easier.
> Can you make symlinks in /home so that every user whose homedir is in
> /homeapp can use /home/user also?  Then the user's home is
> "/home/user" no matter what machine he logs into.

But there's still a little problem... As the /var/yp/master.passwd is a=20
softlink to /etc/master.passwd, the server's root user will be the same=20
in the client so, the client won't have any local user. This can cause=20
some series problems when the network is down. The client machine
should have at least some local users to avoid this kind of problem.

Regards,
--=20

=C2ngelo Rodrigues - amr@fccn.pt=20
FCCN - Funda=E7=E3o para a Computa=E7=E3o Cient=EDfica Nacional
Av. Brasil, 101  1700-066 Lisboa - Portugal
Tel: +351 218440100   Fax: +351 218472167