Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:58:42 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which GCC in CURRENT? [Was: Re: Wine update]

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 09:49:30AM +0100, Konstantin Chuguev wrote:

> There are two directories in CURRENT's src/contrib: gcc and gcc.295 (the former is
> fresher). In src/gnu/{usr.bin|lib} appropriate Makefile.inc files set .PATH to
> .../.../gcc.295.
> There seems to be no way to switch to another GCC by editing just one line
> somewhere.
> Does anybody knows why there are two GCC in CURRENT?

Because there is a planned upgrade of the gcc to 2.96 sometime in the
future. But the new gcc snapshot contained in that directory (which is also
refreshed sometimes) is not yet ready for prime time. A gcc upgrade is a
very delicate matter and must be planned carefully. Also, since 2.96 has not
even been released yet, I assume the maintainer (bruce, AFAIK) just makes
sure that it builds and compiles stuff OK and so by the time 5.0 will be
released and hopefully 2.96 too, we just have to push the button and it will
be there.

If you look closely enough, you can also see two parallel gdb trees and at
one time (before the upgrade to the latest release version) there also used
to be two binutils dirs. I think this very careful approach on the part of
the maintainer(s) makes sure that gcc (and binutils and libc) upgrades are
so painless on FreeBSD, while they can be a significant PITA on Linux
because of possible incompatibilities.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM