Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:27:36 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACE wrappers

%hi, there!
%
%Is there anyone who built ACE wrappers + TAO successfully and got it
%working properly under RELENG_4?

But of course... www.pinyon.org/ace

%I have strange problems when using native C++ exceptions.
%The same stuff under 3.4-STABLE (with g++295) works flawlessly.

Native exceptions were working beautifully up till sometime
around September '99 but broke thereafter and were broken
still when I checked a month or so ago.  The problem appears
to me to be thread related, so it's almost certainly a
libgcc problem, but I and several other people expended
a considerable amount of time trying to find the source and
failed.  FWIW, native exceptions are disabled in the Linux
threaded versions now too.

Since this is the ports list, I might point out that
it would be great to have a port, but I haven't made one
because

1.  LinuxThreads works better than libc_r threads with ACE and
    especially TAO.

2.  A port should still support libc_r threads, for a lot of
    reasons.

3.  Supporting both means two sets of includes under /usr/local
    and different names for the libs etc. etc.

Not to mention that each build of TAO with -g needs ~2G
of diskspace.

I build both libc_r and LinuxThreads versions on various
flavors of -current and REL_ENG4, but having everthing below
$ACE_ROOT makes that easy.

Russell

%/fjoe
%
%
%
%To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
%with "unsubscribe freebsd-ports" in the body of the message
%