Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:45:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Huge SCSI configs

> > I'm just waiting for someone to come up with a driver for the new Fore ATM
> > card, the ForeRunnerHE 622.  I like the larger packet size I can do with
> > ATM.  :-)
>
> On the other hand, with the Alteon based card you can do jumbo frames too,
> at a fraction of the cost. (My Netgear GA620 Gigabit Ethernet card bought
> from the US ended up at almost exactly one tenth of the price of a HE622
> from the Fore vendor here in Norway. YMMV)

My apologies for this non-SCSI discussion, but...

This doesn't seem odd.  However, 155Mbps ATM is roughly the equal of 100Mbps
Ethernet, allows 9180-byte packets, runs over WAN links, and integrates
nicely into an existing ATM network.  The cost on the server side is
important, but it is easy to justify 1x most costs.  Getting the benefit on
the client side for a reasonable price, well, that's interesting.  :-)
(Ask Fore for pricing on their UTP 155Mbps ATM cards when purchased along
with a workgroup ATM switch...)

Not that I'm actually in the market to build a machine with OC-12 speed
capability, but if I did, that's why I'd probably consider ATM as a serious
choice.

Ethernet may win in the long run, just because it is so... commodity.  But
right now the ATM stuff is out there, works, and switches at the advertised
speeds.

... Joe