Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:39:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   resolver wierdness in -stable/RELENG_4

Hello -stable:

Has anything happened in RELENG_4 during the past couple
of weeks that might cause nameservice to cease functioning
over Ethernet but continue working over (kernel) ppp?

Current situation:

OS:  RELENG_4 (4.6-STABLE), as of Tuesday, 6 August 2002

BIND configured as cache-only; has been working quite
nicely for months.

Cablemodem connection(s) aren't resolving names.  Such things as
ping & traceroute work fine as long as I supply an ip-address
and specify no name resolution (i.e. traceroute -n).
This started happening roughly a week ago, but there have
been problems with the cablemodem network itself (& I think
this might still be a problem with the cablemodem network).
It appears that the "upstream" nameserver(s) don't want to
talk with mine now(?)

Kernel-ppp connections work fine & resolve ok; ppp
is to the dialup-side of the same company/network as
the cablemodem(s).  At this time I can use either of 2
cablemodems; dhclient gives me different ip-addresses
for each, but otherwise the situation is the same (no
name resolution).

Previous situation:

Cache-only BIND, as above.

Name resolution working with both Ethernet & dialup/kernel-ppp.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-kc