Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:13:59 -0500
From:      ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Recognizing LAN printers

Hello:

    I have a FreeBSD machine connected to a hub, there is a postscript
printer also
connected to the hub, along with 2 macs, and a pc running win95.

    The printer is a NEC Silentwriter II Model 90 (again) configured to
LocalTalk,
and there is a localtalk cable connecting the printer to an "Asante
Localtalk to
Ethernet  Bridge". The bridge is connected to the hub.

    Two other Macs connected to the hub print fine, another PC running
Win95 also print fine
to this printer.

Problem:

    The FreeBSD machine is not seeing the printer.  The printer did
nothing when
I send jobs such as lpr, lp, enscript, etc.  It only shows a ready
light.

Question:

1.    What do I need to do in order for the FreeBSD machine to print to
this LAN printer ?

2.    A parallel printer is call lpt0, lpt1, etc. What is the device
name for the LAN printer ?

Many many thanks in advance. This is my first step to wipe out all win95
machines at work.

phillip wong