Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:07:02 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Hopkins <michael.hopkins@hopkins-research.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Working and broken Linux ports on amd64

Please DO NOT cross post to 4 different mailing lists.
We have unique mailing lists for a purpose.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:14:47PM +0100, Michael Hopkins wrote:
> I have been installing a few Linux environments from the ports in the last
> few days to try and establish a cross-compiler for 32-bit Linux on amd64
> (see my other post for the story so far).

What you want to do is install the linux_base-8 port.  It is the standard
default linux emulation port.  Ensure your ability to run 32-bit Linux
binaries is OK.  Install some port that requires linux_base-8 (I use
Acrobat Reader - print/acroread).

> devel/linux_devtools-7
> Starting Terminal in /usr/ports/devel/linux_devtools-7...
> bash-2.05b# make
> ===>  linux_devtools-7.1_3 is marked as broken: Incomplete pkg-plist.

This is your basic problem -- the devtools port hasn't been updated to
RH8 yet to match the default stock linux_base.  If you are skilled with
the Ports Collection update this port and send a patch. :-)

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)