Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:11:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        markjr@shmooze.net (Stunt Pope)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reading a windows syquset 135 cartridge from freeBSD2.2.2

In a previous message, Stunt Pope said:

> We want to be able to read files from a SCSI syquest 135. The cartridges
> are going to be windows filesystems (i.e we want to read files
> that come off of a windoze box).
>
> I tried
>
> disklabel -Brw sd2 auto

This creates a freebsd slice on the disk.

> and from there a newfs and tunefs that I got from the mailing list
> archives (I can't show those cause someone just rebooted that
> box).

newfs and tunefs, create and tune the ufs partition on the disk.

> At any rate, I could mount the drive, but it seems to have mounted it
> as a ufs filesys? All the files are gone, and it seems to be formatted
> now.

Yes, that's what you did to it.

> So, how do I do "disklabel" and such so that we can mount an msdos
> or windoze formatted cartridges (read only is fine).

You do nothing with disklabel. All you do is use mount. As in
mount -t msdos /dev/sd2s1 /syquest

You've lost the data that was on the cartridge.

> Is it doable?

Sure is. I have 2 Syquests (1 at work, 1 at home). I've found it convient
to make 2 slices on cartridges, one for NT and one for FreeBSD. It works
great.

--
He played the king as if afraid someone else would play the ace.
                -- John Mason Brown, drama critic