Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:18:58 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install newer version over old one...

--==_Exmh_589402858P

If memory serves me right, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> On Thu 1999-10-07 (16:28), Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > 1) We leave things as they are in /var/db/pkg, and the make target matches
> > against the subdirectories with ${PKGNAME}-*. This has potential problems
> > with ports named foo and foo-devel, etc - you can't differentiate between
> > a PKGVER of "devel-1.0" and a PKGNAME of "foo-devel" and "1.0". We could
> > mandate that all PKGVERs start with a number, but it's still kinda icky
> > IMO, and probably will fail to catch a number of corner cases.
>
> The stuff after the last '-' is the version.
>
> That is the way things are meant to work - if it doesn't, it's a mistake,
> and needs to be fixed.
>
> This is how pkg_version does its stuff, for example.

Please don't take pkg_version as a definitive authority on how packages
should be numbered/named.  It's a gross hack.  I can say this because
I'm the poor chap who wrote it.  :-)

My two cents (which have probably already been expressed very well by
others on this list) are that:  Explicit support for finding two
versions of "the same" port is a Good Thing (TM).  Whoever does this
also needs to think very carefully about what "newer" means (in
particular, keeping in mind that "newer" != "better").  There's also
the idea that a package can change without changing the version number
of the installed software (e.g. someone adds a patch-xx or tweaks the
Makefile).

I'm somewhat in favor of encoding some of this data in /var/db/pkg/
foo-x.y.z/+SOMEFILE since the package creation process has a lot more of
this information available than pkg_version does, thus eliminating the
need for pkg_version (et al) to try to figure these things out.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_589402858P

--==_Exmh_589402858P--