Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:19:19 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Buildworld Server

I have done this many times, and this is the correct way of handling a
build-server.  However, I'd like to clarify a couple of things:

I like to permanently export the file systems used during builds.  I just
feel that it's easier this way.  On the server, edit your /etc/exports file
and add the following lines:

	/usr/src   -alldirs -maproot=0 *
	/usr/obj   -alldirs -maproot=0 *
	/usr/ports -alldirs -maproot=0 *

You will need to restart the nfs server daemon after making this change, so
the file systems are exported.  The "-alldirs" options exports everything
from the specified point, down, in the tree.  The "-maproot=0" option allows
you to mount the filesystems on the remote box as root, which makes
installworld run more smoothly.  The "*" specifies which hosts can connect,
which in this case is all of them.  If you want to limit it, just list out
the IP addresses or hostnames of the clients you expect to connect with.
The "/usr/ports" file system is only needed if you plan to rebuild ports
this way.  I do it all the time, and it makes life so much easier.

On the client system(s) you will need to nfs-mount these file systems.  You
can either go to the command line and type:

	mount -t nfs server:/usr/src /usr/src
	mount -t nfs server:/usr/obj /usr/obj
	mount -t nfs server:/usr/ports /usr/ports

...or to do it permanently, edit /etc/fstab and add the following three
lines:

	server:/usr/src	/usr/src		nfs	rw	0	2
	server:/usr/obj	/usr/obj		nfs	rw	0	2
	server:/usr/ports	/usr/ports	nfs	rw	0	2