Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2018 16:10:43 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'pkg upgrade -f spamassassin' stops but doesn't restart spamd

Michael Grimm wrote on 2018/01/07 15:31:
> Hi,
>
> I am following 11-STABLE and therefore upgrading my system quite frequently. During that process I do recompile all ports installed by poudriere and upgrade all ports after reboot.
>
> Today I stumbled over an IMHO weird behaviour of the spamassassin's installation process, that stops a running spamd daemon without restarting. Even worse, the user will not be informed about that procedure:
>
> 	mail> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd status
> 	spamd is running as pid 13859.
>
> 	mail> pkg upgrade -fy spamassassin
> 	Updating poudriere repository catalogue...
> 	poudriere repository is up to date.
> 	All repositories are up to date.
> 	Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
> 	The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>
> 	Installed packages to be REINSTALLED:
> 		spamassassin-3.4.1_11 [poudriere]
>
> 	Number of packages to be reinstalled: 1
> 	[mail] [1/1] Reinstalling spamassassin-3.4.1_11...
> 	===> Creating groups.
> 	Using existing group 'spamd'.
> 	===> Creating users
> 	Using existing user 'spamd'.
> 	[mail] [1/1] Extracting spamassassin-3.4.1_11: 100%
> [*]	Stopping spamd.
> 	Waiting for PIDS: 13859, 13859.
> 	You may need to manually remove /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf if it is no longer needed.
> 	Message from spamassassin-3.4.1_11:
>
> 	==========================================================================
>
> 	You should complete the following post-installation tasks:
>
> 		1) Read /usr/local/share/doc/spamassassin/INSTALL
> 		   and /usr/local/share/doc/spamassassin/UPGRADE
> 		   BEFORE enabling SpamAssassin for important changes
>
> 		2) Edit the configuration in /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin,
> 		   in particular /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre
> 		   You may get lots of annoying (but harmless) error messages
> 		   if you skip this step.
>
> 		3) To run spamd, add the following to /etc/rc.conf:
> 		   spamd_enable="YES"
>
> 		4) If this is a new installation, you should run sa-update
> 		   and sa-compile. If this isn't a new installation, you
> 		   should probably run those commands on a regular basis
> 		   anyway.
>
> 		5) Install mail/spamass-rules if you want some third-party
> 		   spam-catching rulesets
>
> 	SECURITY NOTE:
> 	By default, spamd runs as root (the AS_ROOT option). If you wish
> 	to change this, add the following to /etc/rc.conf:
>
> 		spamd_flags="-u spamd -H /var/spool/spamd"
>
> 	==========================================================================
>
> 	mail> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd status
> 	spamd is not running.
>
> Ok, one might notice that the daemon has been stopped [*], but section "You should complete …" fails to mention, that one needs to restart the daemon after upgrading.
>

> Please correct me if I am wrong but I have always been under the impression that stopping a daemon whilst upgrading violates conventions?

There are no consensus about what services should do on deinstall or
upgrade. That's why there is such a mess in ports / packages.
Some did nothing (my preferred way), some stop (but did not start) the
service, some modify user edited config files (removing / disabling
modules in httpd.conf so Apache is broken on each upgrade of module(s)).

Miroslav Lachman