Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:21:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Ganael LAPLANCHE" <ganael.laplanche@martymac.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About games/flightgear-aircrafts

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:38:33 -0400, Greg Larkin wrote
> You can also break them by first letter of the distfile names,
> combining where appropriate.
> [...]

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:57:58 -0400, Robert Huff wrote
>   my first reaction was to break it into broad categories.
> For example:
>
>   aircraft-required
>          aircraft-25-most-popular
>          aircraft-civilian-prop
> [...]

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:58:03 +0200, Guido Falsi wrote
> A "civialian-aerobatic" category could be sensible.
> [...]

Greg, Robert, Guido, thanks for your suggestions ; anyway, this would
not solve one of the problems : maintainability of the port :/

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:11:39 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote
> #2 is reasonable, IMO.
>
> Other options, like breaking it up into multiple
> ports, would not make it easier to maintain and might be more
> difficult for users.

Warren, I agree with you : it would make the port even more complex.
>From a maintainer port of view, we will still have to keep up-to-date
with those 350+ zip files which regularly change upstream, but will now
have to deal with sorting them and updating several different ports.
>From a user point of view, it would also be a pain : users would have to
browse into each "category" ports to be able to get all the planes they
need. I am not sure this is the right way to go :/

I would also vote for #2, or, if we can get a limited list of "good"
airplanes, option #1. I will try to find if I can get a list of top
planes on FLightGear website, but I have not seen such a page so far.

> (Note: "aircraft" is both singular and plural, so the port
> name really should be just flightgear-aircraft.)

Thanks, I'll fix its name if we can manage to keep this port alive :)

Best regards,

--
Ganael LAPLANCHE <ganael.laplanche@martymac.org>
http://www.martymac.org | http://contribs.martymac.org