Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 16:42:17 -0700
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoftUpdates stable??

On %M 0, Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk> wrote:
> 	No such luck.  -current as of yesterday (SMP), new kernel, softupdates,
> 	no async, and I got up this morning to find the box stuck in
> 	DDB -- I did a tr but didn't write down -- I was already late
> 	for work :-|  But I do remember it concerned locking issues.

Same here, except I can recreate it no problem.

To get up to date on softupdates I:

rm -rf /usr/src/sys
cvsup'd a new standard-supfile at  5/14/1998.
Applied CAM
Added two soft updates files from web site.
followed softupdate README instructions

When I enable softupdates on my /uss partition its PANICs (drops
into DDB) after about 3 minutes of uptime even is the system
is basically idle.  It does this very reliably.

The system is an SMP 2xPP150, 64MB with only one hard disk.

The Panic is something about dangling modifiers.

If you want and can recreate the panic and provide more details.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>