Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:44:34 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        core@daemonnews.org
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemon news Proofreaders

Chris Coleman writes:
>>       PS:  Is it only me or is the enthusiasm fading for our
>>            magazine??
>Looking at our stats, it is slowly fading....  However, there has been
>some increased attention by some outside people.  We are getting lots of
>requests for mirror sites and such. The big problems is that we have more
>outside writers this month than regular writers.

Speaking for myself, my *enthusiasm* hasn't faded, but my time has.
Actually, I should think it's a big plus that we have outside writers
clamoring to speak their piece. That should speak many (mounted!)
volumes about the fact that the effort has been well placed and well
received.

In fact, I think the whole BSD advocacy effort has done much in the last
eight months (has it only been EIGHT MONTHS?). Jordan and WC have ben
inspired to make stickers AND peachy-keeno plates for our computers, the
core team is -RELEASEing more than ever, faster than ever, and there's
actually legitimate talk started by DaemonNews towards re-merging he
source trees among the BSDen.

It is true that many of us have made promises and commitments we haven't
kept or have been shouted down on, and I've been guilty as Original Sin.
I just want to point to the incredible rise in the perception of BSD in
the last eight months. Eight months ago, BSD was down there with Algol
and PL-1 as dead, dead, dead. Now we even see LinuxWorld writing that
FreeBSD is a better Linux than Linux.

What does that tell you? Somebody's doing something right, and we should
all be proud and reenergize ourselves to go write some code ...err,
articles. Cheer yourselves, guys, and realize that there are enough of
you who are dedicated to be making a real difference, and that's what
counts. We who have less dedication or more obligations do what we can,
and because we care we make our needles count when we stick them in.

Please direct further cheers to -chat; this isn't the place for them.