Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:15:33 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Kevin Lo <kevlo@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>, Keith Walker <kew@icehouse.net>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: kdemultimedia2-2.0

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 06:07:13PM +0800, Kevin Lo wrote:
> Peter Pentchev wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 01:10:19AM -0800, Jeremy Lea wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > This problem is not specific to kdemultimedia.  I personally would like
> > > to see all ports configured to use /dev/cdrom by default, and have
> > > MAKEDEV create a symlink.  That way users can specify their 'default'
> > > CD-ROM, and don't need to tweak ports unless they have more than one
> > > CD-ROM.
> >
> > Yes, this sounds like a good idea - a default cdrom device, settable
> > by the user.  It does not even apply to ports only - cdcontrol could
> > check for such a default device too, instead of assuming a SCSI CD.
> > (And yes, I have a MUSIC_CD variable set in my /etc/profile; but
> >  does every program ever executed inherit /etc/profile settings? :)
> >
> > There's just one minor point there - I think this is the user's
> > responsibility to set, not MAKEDEV's.  How should MAKEDEV know which
> > device to create a symlink to? Examine fstab? examine dmesg output?
> > Naaaahh :)
>
> How about using the instruction:
>
> ln -sf <cdrom_device> /dev/cdrom

That's fine, as far as making the symlink goes :)  However, the original
poster's (and everyone else's later) point was that the ports/programs
should be taught to use /dev/cdrom, and not some arbitrary "default"
CDROM device names, which are most probably incorrect on most systems.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.