Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:24:17 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
To:        Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RELENG_6] ATARAID oddity

Dieter wrote:
>> I.e. if you insert a drive that was part of a volume from an Adaptec
>> RAID controller into another system, the new system will attempt to
>> treat that disk as though it were associated with a HOST Raid controller.
>>
>> I don't think that this is the desired behavior.  Even if the host raid
>> meta-data is detected, the system shouldn't attempt to treat the disk as
>> part of a HOST raid set without the appropriate controller in the system.
>>

> Even if there *is* an appropriate controller in the system, presumably it
> isn't going to work unless the disk is connected to that controller.
>
> We want the ability to migrate a disk from Adaptec to some other
> controller without screwy things happening.
Looking over the ata-raid.c code that controls the detection, it's
pretty obvious
that it doesn't check to see if the disk belongs to a controller.
Moreover it
blindly tries to use ANY drive in the system(LSI will do this as well)
if it detects
meta data.

I'm working on  a simple patch for this, but I need to figure out which
cards are
using the Adaptec metadata format.  Any ideas where I should look?  I
seem to have
1 card available(3010S) that I can validate against.

--
Sean Bruno
MiraLink Corporation