Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2010 07:07:43 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetching mail (but not fetchmail)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:01:48 -0500, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> Thanks but I I think maybe I wasn't entirely clear. With fetchmail (which is
> why I said but not fetchmail in the subject) I very well can download all my
> mail. For reading locally, on the console (not what I had in mind). Or is
> this where dovecot comes into play? To prepare the previously fetched mail
> and prepare it for pop/imap access?

No. The fetchmail program usually fetches (copies and flushes,
or not flushes) the POP mailbox and places the content on your
local machine into your user's mailbox, /var/mail/$USER. From
there on, you can do with the mail what you want, e. g. view
it with mail (from the base system), incorporate "from spool"
into Sylpheed, Thunderbird, pine, whatever program you want,
or continue processing with another program (e. g. to transfer
the messages elsewhere - this is where docevot enters the
scene).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany