Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 06:02:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        yurtesen@ispro.net.tr (Evren Yurtesen)
Cc:        kenndc@cyberdude.com (Kenn D Crossley), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP! please

> >setiathome requires about 0.5 MBytes disk space in its working
> >directory, and about 12 MBytes of memory.  If you have ample physical
> >memory, it's work load should be almost undetectable.
>
> though with 16MB you are on the limits, I am not sure how would your
> computers performance would be if you use X with them.

I have seti@home running on a couple of low-end Pentiums with 16MB
of RAM.  Over the past week or so seti@home has been the only thing
running on them.  They are always swapping.  From looking at the
stats, I need to free up about 1 more MB of memory to make them
swap free.  I do have a partially stripped down kernel on both machines.
But I've only had these two machine for a few weeks, and they were
cobbled together, so I figure this is at least a minor stress test
for them.  Overall, due to the swapping, the seti program eats up
75% or so of the CPU.  The overhead of all the swapping they are
doing is eating up the other 25% (and most of that is probably
waiting for the swapin/outs, so I'm probably collecting some
idle time even with seti running).

I think I can get things stripped down enough so that they won't swap,
but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard