Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:36:38 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Robert Chalmers <adslfpr4@tpg.com.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems printing to remote print server. (Not PC/Nix)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:57, Robert Chalmers wrote:
> The thing I have on the network isa Print Server. A DLink three port
> print server. Its not a FreeBSD box sharing print jobs, nor a W2K
> machine doing the same. Its on a network connection of its own, and the
> printers are plugged into it.
>
> oh well. I'll keep digging. :-)
>
> thanks
> Robert

I have no experience with the DLink print server but have some experience=
 with=20
an HP JetDirect 4 port print server. I suspect operation is similar.

The server with respect to printing behaves very much like a unix box run=
ning=20
lpd. You address the server with an 'rm' entry in printcap as you would=20
another machine serving printers -- an IP address or name representing an=
 IP=20
address.
You pick a particular printer by a name ('rp' entry) associated with the=20
particular port on the device -- this is probably hard coded and might be=
=20
difficult to discover -- but for what it is woth the names are raw1, raw2=
,=20
=2E.. on the HP box. If the rp entry is missing then (on the HP box) you'=
ll
get the first port.

It is also possible to telnet into the HP box to change some configuratio=
n=20
parameters. You may get a menu or a response to '?' or 'help'.

This of course gives only a raw connection. You may need to supply filter=
s or=20
whatever to process postscript or other source formats.

Not a definitive answer but with some luck it might help.

Malcolm Kay