Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 09:30:52 -0100
From:      Darius Moos <moos@degnet.baynet.de>
To:        Jeff Newton <jeff@datapark.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ifconfig (setup a point to point link)

You can not span a continous C-class over two different network-
segments. That is what you are trying to do.
Your options:
 1. introducing a RFC-private net
 2. subnetting
 3. arping

  (Assuming the router is connected to the internet
   NIC1, NIC2 element of {ed0, ed1, ep0, de0, ...})

1.:
  ifconfig NIC1 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.1 netmask 0xffffff00
  ifconfig NIC2 inet 192.168.xxx.1 netmask 0xffffff00

  Disadvantage: You have to use proxying or network-address-translation

2.:
  ifconfig NIC1 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.253 netmask 0xffffff80
  ifconfig NIC2 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.1 netmask 0xffffff80

  Disadvantage: Waste of IP-adr.es
  Variants: You can tune the netmask to your needs:
      netmask 0xffffff80 gives you 2 subnets with each having 126 usable
      IP-adr.es plus broadcast and network.
      netmask 0xfffffffc gives you 64 subnets with each having 2 usable
      IP-adr.es plus broadcast and network.
      Tune the netmask to your needs.

3.:
  (LIP element of {xxx.xxx.xxx.1, ..., xxx.xxx.xxx.251};
   HWADRofNIC2 := ethernet-hardwareadr. of NIC2)
  ifconfig NIC1 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.253 netmask 0xfffffffc
  ifconfig NIC2 inet 192.168.xxx.1 netmask 0xffffff00
  arp -s LIP HWADRofNIC2

  You have to arp for every possible LIP.

  Disadvantage: hardware-dependent to the HWADRofNIC2

Darius Moos.