Date:      25 Oct 1995 18:01:34 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape puzzle

terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert) writes:

>> Terry Lambert writes:
>> [ Netscape not working ]
>> > Another potential datapoint:
>> >
>> > We are all aware of the bind/sendmail static data initialization shared
>> > library changes, right?
>>
>> Refreh my memory.

>They changed the initializations to something that would allow copy on
>write shared library data to be used as well.

>Basically, it's getting rid of local data for crappy shared library
>implementations.

Uhh... Am I missing something?  This thread is about netscape, yes?
Netscape is linked *static*, and has it's own self-contained resolver.
Shared libraries dont even come into the picture, because BSDI (1.1)
doesn't *have* them...

>If you mixed old and new implementations (check the bind release notes),
>then the behaviour became undefined, even if you recompiled everything.

>One (hack) fix is to call the initialization before it's strictly
>allowed.

Our implementation of the resolver is not an issue with netscape,
because our resolver is not loaded into netscape.  Sendmail had the
problem, yes.

>> > The ones that Matt Day reported and provided patches for in both Linux
>> > and BSD and to the package authors?
>>
>> I don't remember seeing it.  Was in on the ports mailing list?

>No.  It was on hackers and it was sent to one or more NetBSD and Linux
>lists, as well as being mailed to Allman & company.

If you mean the RES_INIT and res_init() patch, that's already in
sendmail, but isn't a 'netscape puzzle' issue...  From memory
somebody's already mentioned that there is an issue of the resolver
code inside the statically linked netscape/bsdi executable using
select for a timeout, while netscape is using setitimer which is
disturbing the method that the resolver is using to detect a timeout
on the select. (or something like that.. :-)

-Peter