Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:21:17 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directory structure on current.freebsd.org

Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
>In releases/snapshots they're called "axp" and "x86", while in
>ports they're called "alpha" and "i386".

I agree that having two different names is confusing.

DEC (or Compaq) literature seems to use both Alpha and AXP - I'm not
sure that either is an especially better choice.

> "x86" could imply that we're
>running on 286, too, and it's more in line with "sparc64"),

I personally find "i386" a pain because it is used to specify both an
architecture (IA-32) and a particular implementation (80386) of that
architecture.  In some cases it may not be clear which is meant.

It's worthwhile noting that Sun use "x86" to specify their Intel
port.

Peter