Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:00:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Vinum] Stupid benchmark: newfsstone

> On Monday,  9 November 1998 at 22:38:04 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > Just started playing with Vinum.  Gawd Greg, this thing seriously needs
> > a "smart" frontend to do the "simple" things.
>
> Any suggestions?  After seeing people just banging out RAID
> configurations with GUIs, I thought that this is probably a Bad
> Thing.  If you don't understand what you're doing, you shouldn't be
> doing it.

That's not entirely true.

> The four-layer concepts used by Veritas and Vinum have always been
> difficult to understand.  I'm trying to work out how to explain them
> better, but taking the Microsoft-style "don't worry, little boy, I'll
> do it all for you" approach is IMO not the right way.

I think it's a mistake to conceal all the workings, but it's also a
mistake to assume that for the "common case", you need to thrust all of
it into the novice's face.

The "common case" for RAID applications seems to be:  "I have these
disk units, and I want to make them into a RAID volume".  So the
required functionality is:

 1) Input the disks to participate in the volume.
 2) Input the RAID model to be used.

Step 2 should check the sizes of the disks selected in step 1, and make
it clear that you can only get striped or RAID 5 volumes if the disks
are all the same size.  If they're within 10% or so of each other, it
should probably ignore the excess on the larger drives.

> > 4 x 4GB disks (2x Atlas, 2x Grand Prix) on an ncr 53c875, slapped
> > together as a single volume.  (you want to mention building filesystems
> > in your manpages somewhere too - the '-v' option is not immediately
> > obvious).
>
> As Tony observed, it's in vinum(4).  vinum(8) just describes the
> interface program.  Do you still think I need to add more information?
> There's supposed to be a user's guide, when I get round to writing it.

I missed that, sorry.

> > There was an interesting symptom observed in striped mode, where the
> > disks seemed to have a binarily-weighted access pattern.
>
> Can you describe that in more detail?  Maybe I should consider
> relating stripe size to cylinder group size.

I'm wondering if it was just a beat pattern related to the stripe size
and cg sizes.  Basically, the first disk in the group of 4 was always
active.  The second would go inactive for a very short period of time
on a reasonably regular basis.  The third for slightly longer, and the
fourth for longer still, with the intervals for the third and fourth
being progressively shorter.

> > It will get more interesting when I add two more 9GB drives and four
> > more 4GB units to the volume; especially as I haven't worked out if I
> > can stripe the 9GB units separately and then concatenate their plex
> > with the plex containing the 4GB units; my understanding is that all
> > plexes in a volume contain copies of the same data.
>
> Correct.  I need to think about how to do this, and whether it's worth
> the trouble.  It's straightforward with concatenated plexes, of
> course.

Yes, and it may be that activities will be sufficiently spread out over
the volume that this won't be a problem.

> > Can you nest plexes?
>
> No.

That's somewhat unfortunate, but probably contributes to code
simplicity. 8)