Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:46:13 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   system pauses after deleting large files

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5

While moving a large (1GB) file from one parition to another today, I
noticed an odd, reproducable pause.  Basicly you create a large file
somewhere and then delete it like so:

[9:32pm] brooks@minya (/var/tmp): dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3Dbigfile bs=3D1m co=
unt=3D1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1048576000 bytes transferred in 92.343828 secs (11355128 bytes/sec)
[9:34pm] brooks@minya (/var/tmp): rm bigfile

Within the next minute or so, I see a pause where the whole system stops
for 5-10 seconds.  There is a burst of disk activity accompanying this.
It's easiest to observe this in X with some active dock apps or monitors
running so you'll see them stop updating.

Is this something that cane be fixed or is it just life with
softupdates?  I ask in part because I'm considering a new backup
architecture which will generate files in the range of several 100GB so
I'd hate to find out this hang is going to be proporational to file
size.

-- Brooks

--=20

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5