Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 05:25:15 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <Inferno@nightfire.de>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

>> The "SCATAPI" drives would use a 1 meter cable -- ALWAYS 1 meter,
>> even if you could get away with less. Fold it up neatly
>> if it's too long. No taps, 28 AWG conductors, controlled impedance,=20
>> and twists in the signal lines all the way. Peak speed ought to=20
>> reach 132 MBps easily. This just happens to be the capacity of=20
>> 32-bit PCI. A later generation could move up to AGP speeds and=20
>> run off the motherboard chipset's AGP circuitry. CAM would work=20
>> with no modification.
Hi!

should be shielded cables, or do I miss something about keeping signals=
 clean?

AGP IMHO is some el cheapo implementation of some simple electrical
prolonging of a simple interface for fast vid transfer, like the VESA local
bus design in past days.

>There are those of us who have machines that need long cables.  One of the
>boxes I manage has disks that are 15 meters away from the CPU cabinet.  If
>you need to have hundreds of disks, you can't have silly cable lengths.  Of
>course, the next generation box will be all Fibre Channel, but still.  Even
>on my home box, I have a need for greater than 1 metre bus lengths. =20

Yes, but if someone really needs, say 20 disks/CD-ROMs attached some meters
away from your box, wouldn't it make sense and be cheaper to put them in a
dedicated file server /server box and attach them via a fast network?

BTW: How do they the 15 meters?

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

------
Olaf Hoyer   ICQ: 22838075       mailto: Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
home: www.nightfire.de (The home of the burning CPU)

Death be my master, my soul and saviour... (The book of inferno, chapter II)
"There is no justice, there is just me", said the Reaper (Terry Pratchett)

Wer mit Ungeheuern k=E4mpft, mag zusehn,=20
da=DF er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird.
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund=20
auch in dich hinein.
(Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und B=F6se)