Date:      08 Dec 2003 20:57:04 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing DOCSIS diagnostics from within/behind FreeBSD router

"J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is even a FreeBSD question, but googling hasn't turned up
> much on it, so I thought I'd toss this one out there.
>
> I have a Motorola SB5100 cable modem directly attached to a FreeBSD router
> (running ipfilters/ipnat). The external network is a comcast segment, and is
> assigned a dynamic IP. The internal network is routed on 192.168.1.x, where
> the router is 192.168.1.254.
>
> The trick is, the cable modem is on the "external" side, but apparently
> listening on 192.168.1.100 for HTTP requests (for its diagnostics report).
>
> Is there anyway to access this diagnostic page without temporarily plugging
> the CM into a Windows box?

The most obvious answer would be to change the internal network to not
conflict with the external network.  With a little more effort, you
could set up the FreeBSD box to bridge instead of routing, and just
make sure you don't assign the .100 address to anything other than the
cable modem.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/